Sunday, June 27, 2010

Potential for Parenthood - Day 10

"The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife."
To teach this concept in an understandable way to Levi and Hannah, we used popcorn. I love the quote, "A piece of popcorn is an ordinary kernel of corn that magnified its calling." We took a minute to observe the popcorn kernals before they turned into popcorn. We noted their size and shape.
Then we put the kernels in the popcorn machine and let the heat do all the work.
Presto! A handful of kernels creates a bowl full of popcorn. We discussed that not all of the kernels ended up becoming popcorn...even though they went through the same heat process as all the other kernels. This is similar to people going through trials. We all have them. We can either learn from them and become popcorn , or harden our hearts and remain kernels.
So, this leads me to reflect...what can I be doing better to rise to my potential as a mother and as a wife. Perhaps speaking a little kinder? Not staying up so late at night so that I am not tired in the morning? Helping my children practice the songs they are learning at church? Doing meal prep ahead of time so that dinner time can run more smoothly? There are always small things I could be doing to make each day just a little better.

No comments: